Friday 5 October 2012

Week 1:Reflections (Part-2)

Computer Assisted Language Learning
CALL is a wide ranging term. It includes the use of technology in language teaching. One of the technologies is computer. CALL has come to be synonymous with Web Applications of computer technology. Web 2.0 tools have many varieties.
I use many CALL Tools to teach different language skills to my undergraduate and graduate students. In our college we have set up a mini CALL room where students assemble to have a hands-on practice of many web applications. Here is a short list of some of the CALL Tools I use to teach English language to my students:
TodaysMeet                                   http://www.todaysmeet.com/
Vocaroo                                         http://vocaroo.com/
Jing                                                http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

Very few teachers in my area know how to use a word processor.As regards PowerPoint Presentations etc,they know next to nothing. Web technology is a great terror for them. Now the ice has begun to thaw. After attending a 4-day international CALL workshop in Islamabad,I felt we were far behind the rest of the world in the use of technology in our class rooms. I have created blogs for each class at Posterous.

Now I have learnt how to blog on Blogger. This week ,at WebSkills Course, is going to end.I love the company of so many nice and cooperative people. More soon.....
Regards
Rustam

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rustam,
    Good Morning.
    Glad to join you as one your course-mates.
    I saw your blog and also the list of tools for CALL.
    It is the demand of the hour but we lag behind.
    Thanks for opening my eyes and enlightening me.
    Keep in touch.Bye.Best wishes.
    Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete